Monday 8 June 2009

Hey! - I´ve Got Some New Gear.


It comes to something when the highlight of the week is buying a new rucksack! But there you are, the belt snapped on me other one so I´ve invested in a “McKinleys Grand Canyon 55” don´t you know. You see with the belt not working on the other one I was taking all the weight on the shoulders....(most people are fascinated by this), and that was bringing on the old injury from last year whereby I incurred a nasty twinge when I knocked the top off my boiled egg (or something equally mundane – the truth is I don´t know exactly know what happened). So anyway, I set off and after a few minutes I realized that the pain had miraculously disappeared from my right shoulder – and reappeared in the left one!? – These modern rucksacks are something else aren´t they, and not only that but after a few more minutes I was feeling heavy legged and doing a passable impersonation of giving Vanessa Feltz a piggy back to the fish shop. Then followed a tingling sensation in my thumb which then spread right the way up my arm – I thought that maybe I was having a heart attack, and briefly thought about lying down on the pavement and adopting the recovery position, - but it was only 7am and there was nobody about to recover me.
Training for this upcoming trek has been really hard graft if truth be known, mentally as much as anything. I set my alarm for 6am and drag myself out of bed cursing. – But cursing at who? – this was all my idea wasn´t it?, nobody is making me do this, it was a twenty miler today and it took me 7 hours – 7 bloody hours! The bare fact is I think I maybe going slightly simple, but I´m enjoying the challenge and my dodgy knees are miraculously becoming slightly less dodgy with every session. I´m slightly more confident than I was a couple of weeks ago (that nasty heat rash has even subsided), but I´ve still no idea what it´s like to hike in a gorilla suit, it all seemed quite comical when I first thought of it, but we´re talking a couple of weeks now and it suddenly dawns on me, that this is quite likely to be the worst idea I´ve ever had.

No comments:

Post a Comment