Tuesday 23 June 2009

Day 2 - Beal To Beadnell Bay




Well that was a laugh, a 16 mile walk that turned out to be a 25 mile mystery tour – and took 9 hours! – but it was a nice day. It was hot alright, and after 10 minutes sweat was pouring off the end of me nose and dripping out of the end of the gorilla mask – via the nostril. From a distance it must have appeared that the old boy was suffering with a heavy cold.
When it appeared that I couldn’t walk along the A1 as originally planned I realized that it was going to be a longer walk than the 16 mile originally planned, I then decided to make the decision to shed the gorilla skin, the distance would now be beyond him, I felt bad about it but there was no way I could carry (or purchase) the water I’d need. He’s a big drinker.
My map reading skills are a joke – though not a very funny one, and I started as I meant to go on by passing the same workmen building a bungalow twice in 45 minutes. I’d actually thought I was getting better but now come to think of it, when I went to the passport office in Liverpool the other day I set off in the opposite direction and ended up in “China Town”. Then, I ended up in thick woodland – for a very long time. As I scrabbled through bracken and bobbed my head up over fences seeking out civilization it struck me that I’d made the right decision about going it alone – the gorilla would probably have ended up with tranquiliser dart up his arse. After about 7 hours I was running low on water and getting a bit edgy I hadn’t seen a single shop since Berwick and the sheer vastness of vegetation becomes un nerving at times like these. When I happened across the village of Bamburgh, the sight of the huge castle gave me a big lift – but not as much as the newsagents across the road – WATER!!! It was only the backpack digging into me aching bones that stopped me from doing a jig around the maypole.

No comments:

Post a Comment