Saturday 1 August 2009

Hull To Barton-Upon-Humber


Only I could fail to find the fifth largest bridge in the world! - TWICE! - Well, it wasn't that I couldn't find it exactly, it was just that I couldn't find the bit where you actually get on it, then again I'm simply not happy unless I'm walking round in circles for at least an hour a day, so I was fairly well satisfied.

With spot on Sit-Com timing it started to rain as soon as I stepped foot on the bloody thing (as predicted), at first it didn't seem so bad and I simply pulled my green paddy field hat down a notch or two and strode manfully on. Within a minute or two however it was bucketing it down and I hopped about on one leg as I battled with the suddenly strong wind whilst attempting to put my over trousers on with one hand and my cagoule with the other - it crossed my mind at this point that I could end up in the river - and it's one hell of a big un.

As I neared the other side after the best part of 45 minutes bent double against the elements the wind suddenly dropped, the rain ceased and for a few seconds the sun tried to muscle its way through. Mind you mother nature took the piss once more as it bounced it down again just as I'd neatly folded the cagoule back into its little pouch and zipped it up into the rucksack.

As I write, I am tent bound once more and face at least another 15 hours reading, (can't listen to the cricket cos that's rained off an all), staring at maps and counting beatles and spiders.

WISH YOU WERE HERE - Kev.

1 comment:

  1. Well done Kev, just dont get lost next week!

    See you in Blackpool for a beer or 12!

    Big Martin

    ReplyDelete